Fried Plantains Recipe
I LOVE FRIED PLANTAINS! Besides Jamaica, you will find these served as a snack or side dish with any main entrée throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. So easy and so delicious!
2 ripe plantains (choose overly ripe fruit*)
4 ounces vegetable oil
1. Preheat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat.
2. Wash plantains in cold water to remove dirt.. Using a sharp knife, make an incision along the entire length of the plantain. Slide your index finger along the incision and remove the skin.
3. Cut fruit into ¼-inch pieces at a 45 degree angle.
4. Fry the pieces until they turn light brown around the edges. Flip slices over as soon as the edges turn brown. Fry plantains for one minute more.
5. Remove from skillet and drain excess oil on paper towels. Serves 8.
* When over-ripe, the sugars come out and they will caramelize. When you buy your plantains, make sure the plantains are yellow with dark spots (turning black). The riper the plantains are, the better they are for frying.