Jamaican Peanut Porridge Recipe
3 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups raw peanuts
3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Water, as needed
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
½ cup evaporated milk
1. Place the oatmeal in a food processor and pulse until it becomes a powder. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
2. Wipe out the food processor bowl, then place the peanuts in the food processor and pulse until almost smooth. Add to the oatmeal powder.
3. Add the cornmeal and flour to the bowl, then add enough water (about ½ cup) to the mixture to make a loose paste.
4. Bring 1 quart of water and the salt to boil in a pot. Slowly pour the peanut paste mixture into the water, whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
5. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot loosely with the lid so that steam can escape. Allow to cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in the vanilla, nutmeg, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk.
7. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before serving.